India One Concentrated Solar Thermal Dish Project.
The intention of the India One solar project is to set up an innovative solar thermal power plant based on the newly developed 60 m2 parabolic dish complete with a 16 hr steel core cavity receiver and storage for continuous operation. The project began in 2011 and is planned to come online in 2016. This is one of the few large scale solar thermal dish projects in the world so far.
The main technical specifications for the 60 square meter dish are listed below:
Number of dishes : 770 nos. of 60m2
Electrical output : 1,0 Mw el. (net. 22000 kwh/24hrs)
Thermal output : 150 Mwh th. (24hrs)
Solar field : 25 Acres near to campus (1.3 km)
Total mirror area : 45.000 m2
Turbine : 1,0 Mw el.
Timetable for the Solar One Project.
The overall time frame for completion of this project is four years.
The project will be executed in two phases:
Phase I: Simulation and planning for the power plant
Phase II: Procurement and installation of the 1,0 Mw el. power plant
01.2011 – Start of the project
03.2011 – Purchasing of components
04.2011 – Fabrication and installation
11.2015 – Test and commissioning
03.2016- Evaluation, report preparation
The main advantages of the 60 square meter solar parabolic dish with fixed focus length are:
– Cost effective / high output
– Relatively simple construction, modular design
– Innovative thermal storage concept
– Easy operation/ maintenance; all components available in India
– Inexpensive planar mirrors and MC-controlled tracking system
– Fixed receiver with no need for flexible high pressure joints
– No vacuum technology and no metal glass sealing
– Due to direct steam generation, no heat exchanger and low parasitic loads
– Efficient use of land; the dishes can be tightly placed
– Power on demand and high efficiency due to co-generation
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy Sources (MNRE), New Delhi , Government of India, supports the project under its R&D scheme with 12.6 Crs. www.mnre.gov.in
There are several videos available explaining the India One Solar Thermal project included below: