Low-Cost Solar Panel Captures Four Times More Energy

Solar Electricity and Hot Water
It can pay for itself in as little as two years

A Low-Cost Solar Panel That Is Super Efficient ( Solar Thermal Magazine) – Focused Sun of Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA is planning to shake up the solar industry with an inexpensive module that captures four times more energy than a conventional solar panel of the same size. The module, called FourFold, produces both electricity and hot water. It can pay for itself in as little as two years, bringing local jobs plus cheap, clean energy. For every dollar spent, you capture four fold more solar energy.

A FourFold covers most of modern energy needs: its electricity powers lights, refrigerators, and air cooling, while its heat can warm a home or drive boilers. In the developing world, the module is needed in village clinics where it can sterilize water and refrigerate vaccines.

A focused sun solar hybrid installation

A focused sun solar hybrid installation

The fabrication technology to make FourFold solar modules in small local factories can be licensed from Focused Sun. A town as small as 5,000 can support a solar factory. These aren’t short term jobs: most towns and small cities will take decades to solarize.

Manufacturing the low cost solar panels

Manufacturing the low-cost solar panels

Costs of the module’s collector are similar to a same-sized conventional PV panel because sandwich fabrication is used for the module’s mirrors. Sandwich fabrication is the most efficient structure for resisting the wind, the highest force a solar panel must withstand.

Conventional PV solar panels capture 20% of the sun’s energy as electricity. In the FourFold module, four mirrors concentrate the sunlight into a narrow strip of overhead PV cells, capturing just as much electricity. More important, coolant pumped through the absorber captures an additional 55% of the sun’s energy as heat. Altogether, the FourFold collects 75% of the sun’s energy, 500 W of electricity and 1500 W of heat for 2000 W total.

How the energy of the sun is used in conventional solar pv systems

How the energy of the sun is used in conventional solar pv systems

The attached shed stores energy overnight: heat in an insulated tank and electricity in batteries. With low costs and high-efficiency solar capture, payback can be as low as 2 years.

Focused Sun founder Rene Francis (Hallsberg, Sweden) said, “This solar technology can outperform anything else you could find in the world. And the best part is it can be built locally.” Referring to Princeton University’s eight stabilization wedges needed to avoid global warming, he adds,

If PV solar is one Princeton wedge, then this technology is four wedges. That’s half the global warming problem.

It is innovation like this from inventors and entrepreneurs that will change our energy future and create good paying, fun jobs for millions of people around the world.Governments come and go but the people live on and solar power is forever.

Here is a video from the inventor showing an installation of this solar generator. The video below shows the simple installation of the module.

First, the energy storage shed is moved into place. The shed comes as a one-piece assembly having a hose and electrical connections to the collector.

Next, the collector’s frame is installed in front of the shed. The frame, absorber, and mirrors come in a second box. The frame is installed with the absorber held by tubes above the frame. Only common hand tools are needed for assembly.

The video starts with the frame assembled in front of the shed. Each mirror has a square socket in each end. Mirror assembly begins by sliding a motor post onto a mirror socket at the top of the frame. Each mirror, in turn, is slid onto its respective motor post until all mirrors are placed.Then the axle post on the mirror’s other end is attached to the bottom of the frame. Only two bolts hold each attach the axle post to the frame.

Dr. Shawn Buckley, Chairman of Focused Sun, puts 200lbs of pressure on a sandwich panel from his concentrated solar collector to demonstrate its capability to withstand winds up to 150mph.

About Gordon Smith
Gordon's expertise in the area of industrial energy efficiency and alternative energy. He is an experienced electrical engineer with a Masters degree in Alternative Energy technology. He is the co-founder of several renewable energy media sites including Solar Thermal Magazine.

30 Comments

• How can I contact focused sun?

• M A Imrani says:

I am interested to know more about the solar module that captures four times more solar energy than the conventional solar panel.. Kindly send me details about this innovative technology. It appears to be most suitable for the countries where sun shines for more than 12 hours a day.

Kindly advise how i can get good advantage from cheap source of solar energy.

Best regards

M A Imrani

• Thank for the information, I agree that solar panels are more energy production. Not just more productive, but using solar panels can save you money.

• Thanks for the great article. You can contact us through our website http://www.focused-sun.com or through our Indiegogo crowdfunding site https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/focused-sun/x/8990024. Our technology lets us set up small factories nearly anywhere.
    M A Imrami: computer simulations show we do well even in cloudy climates like Buffalo NY — not as good as here in the US Southwest but still much better than conventional.

• Elsabe Otto says:

I am very interested

• Gustavo Serrat Leton says:

It’s a great idea, but in my country you are at risk of a big fine for the use of this ecological tecnology. By the way I’m from Spain.

• Sechaba Selibe says:

I am interested in your technology for South Africa and the Region.

• kevin lochore says:

Very interesting….would like to know more. ..thanks

• Billy says:

What is the total cost. Is one able to feed back into the grid?(what is the cost of the inverter)?Does one need a lot of space for the installation.
    Lots of questions no time to type them all. Do you have a supplier in South Africa or are you looking.

• Yumi Nays says:

Please send information on receiving your magazine.

• Mian Moaz says:

This is a very interesting development and can have very practical uses in developing countries.
    Is your company interested in outsourcing production and distribution?
    I’ll be anxiously awai awaiting your response.

Best Regards,
    Mian Moaz Uddin
    Cornerstone Builders

• I have adopted my native village in Bihar,India to make it self sufficient.A middle school has been built and is served by solar electricity.I would like to install a factory in that remote village to make such modules locally and then spread it all over Bihar and Jharkhand states.Please let me know more about the entire process and the fees to be paid.

• Koon Beng Ooi says:

I am interested to know more about the solar module that captures four times more solar energy than the conventional solar panel.. Kindly send me details about this innovative technology. I have a 7 Trina panels rated at 1.5KW on my 27 degree roof in Melbourne, Australia. i would like to get hot water for low temperature surface radiators. Kindly advise how i can get good advantage from cheap source of solar energy.
    Best regards
    Koon Beng Ooi

• WHY IS THIS TYPE OF TECHNOLOGY BEING SANCTIONED IN SPAIN?

• isagan loreto says:

I am willing to support this as distributor in the philippines pls.send more info.

• Anurag says:

Pls provide detailed help for india.
    Thnx

• Dr Narsimha REDDY Kandadi says:

Hi

This news is excellent and I am in need of details and request for the same. Is the company is interested to licence this technology to be implemented in Australia and south India ? I am keen to start a company to give employment for local people with this technology

• Richard Inigo says:

I’m from Ilocos Sur, Philippines. How much and how can I avail of your Fourfold solar panel products.

Your response will sure be appreciated.

Richard Inigo

• Energy Cafe says:

Thank for the information, I am interested to know more about the solar module that captures more solar energy than the conventional solar panel. How can I contact ?

• Ghorpade dattatraya dadahari says:

I am very much interested in knowing about the solar module that captures more energy than conventional solar panel .how will i get the information about it and the sources es to obtain the chef material
    thanking you
    D D Ghorpade

• Eng abdullah jan Noorzai says:

No is branch in Afghanistan

• Eng abdullah jan Noorzai says:

No is branch in Afghanistan

• Gerald B. Coleman says:

Very interesting article. Please give my email to the supplier.

• F.Amin says:

We are interested to know more about the solar module that captures four times more solar energy than the conventional solar panel.. Kindly send me details about this innovative technology. It appears to be most suitable for our countries. Is it possible to produce it in our country with your collaborations in Pakistan.

Kindly advise how i can get good advantage from cheap source of solar energy. Thanks

• M.Gaber says:

I published an idea like this in the Day 6/3/2010
    in Technique Arabic site.Publishing was the reason for the lack of raw materials prototype .
    good luck

• Najib says:

Needs to get details on this product for my future project 50MW/p in Malaysia.

Kindly email at wiremasengineering@gmail.com

Regards

• Dr. Ben Hindley says:

Hi!
    Please e-mail me about your system asap. I have another technology that I would like to combine with yours. Thanks
    Dr. Ben HINBEN Canada
    hinben

• Jim Knorr, retired engineer says:

Hi,
    How will you use the thermal heat in the desert? You show no ROI. A straight thermal collector will generally be 50 to 65+% efficient. I am guessing a home built thermal collector would be 1/3 the cost. You don’t mention the any type of water based heat ex-changer.

• Richard Tastad says:

You promote these systems as a small business, and propose that 5 – 10 people operate the business, and propose that the business have 50 orders before beginning production. I feel it is rather difficult for someone to obtain 50 orders for something that can’t be shown to potential customers. If this is indeed a simple and easy to manufacture system, then market it as a DIY project for homeowners. Once a system is in place the homeowner can show it to his friends and neighbors, and then make the decision to engage in a startup business.

Comments are closed.