Tigo Energy, has introduced new cutting-edge Predictive IV (“PIV”) solar tracking technology allowing PV modules to generate the maximum energy possible. PIV utilizes PV modules’ unique parameters and advanced analytics, incorporating Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) and Impedance Matching techniques, as well as historical module behavior statistics to predict the optimal settings.
Moreover, PIV eliminates the need to pay the high cost of installing an optimizer on every module to gain maximum energy harvest and does not require any communication accessory, thereby guaranteeing customers the absolute lowest cost of any high-power producing PV system on the market, while ensuring the greatest ROI.
“We see Predictive IV as an evolutionary step to an already great product offering, and yet another selling point that tips the scale in favor of Tigo in the module-level power electronics space,” commented JDS Power CEO Jon Silvester.
PIV-based modules can be combined with traditional modules on the same string. PV modules outfitted with PIV are capable of enhancing their own performance without the need to communicate at the system-level to perform at the optimum point.
The five TS4 platform covers offered today by Tigo include; Diodes, Safety, Monitoring, Optimization, and Long Strings as described in more detail below:
● TS4-D (Diode): Most reliable standard JBox dissipating heat away from the module, minimizing hot spots
● TS4-M (Monitoring): Remotely collects data in two second increments: voltage, current, temperature, manufacturer name, module type, date manufactured, barcode, and much more wirelessly via module-level communication; lowers operations and maintenance (O&M) costs considerably
● TS4-S (Safety): Rapid shutdown compliant via module-level deactivation, supports anti- theft and revenue protection functionality (includes TS4-Monitoring capabilities)
● TS4-O (Optimization): Addresses shade, system level mismatch, and age tolerance for maximum energy harvesting (includes Monitoring and Safety capabilities)
● TS4-L (Long Strings): Increases string length by up to 30% via voltage control mechanism of each module (includes Monitoring, Safety, and Optimization capabilities)
All TS4 covers with optimization capabilities (TS4-O and TS4-L) feature PIV technology and the other three (TS4-D, TS4-M, and TS4-S) can be upgraded at any point in time as needed. The covers are cost effective, replaceable, upgradeable, and have the ability to mix and match in one string, making them the most flexible and cost-effective DC-DC Module Level Power Electronic (MLPE) solution available to-date.
Combining one TS4-O in a string of eight traditional modules demonstrated an energy boost of 18.5%, making PIV the most inexpensive stand-alone solution for mitigating shade without optimizing an entire array.
“Going forward, any PV Mdodule in a string that is exposed to shade, higher temperature or has a higher mismatch characteristic with other modules, can be outfitted with TS4-O or TS4-L and gain the maximum energy generation efficiencies. We truly value our customers and with this natural evolution of our strategy, we are able to offer a DC-DC solution that guarantees our customers their greatest ROI,” said Chairman and CEO of Tigo, Zvi Alon.
This post was prepared by Solar Thermal Magazine staff.