In 2011 in the U.S., the 11th Annual Submarine Races were held with teams from all over the world competing. A french team from Nice together with their industry partners participated in the Race that was held at Bethesda Naval Surface Warefare Center and won the Innovation award for an underwater vehicle equipped with a wide scuba maneuverability. The submarine is known as Scubster.
From 2011 to 2015 the team has developed with their partners the second version named the Scubster Nemo with an electric drive and a range of 2 hours. This one cool personal submarine.
- In July 2015 we carry out successfully the first dives demonstrating our technological strengths and maneuverability
This team is now applying for funding on Kickstarter to allow them to develop an even more efficient Scubster for scientific and archaeological research, and for various diving missions.
Here are the specs for the current version of Subster.
- Size: 3 meters long
- Weight 30 kilos empty
- 2 engines of 10 kilos each
- 2 battery packs of 15 kilos
- Carbon hull, Cockpit PPMA
- Requires one person to launch
- Allows security equipment transportation for exploration dive
- Video transport equipment and powerful dive lights
- Area navigation to reach the place of exploration
To see the project on Kickstarter or make a contribution click here
Gordon's expertise in the area of industrial energy efficiency and alternative energy. He is an experienced electrical engineer with a Masters degree in Alternative Energy technology. He is the co-founder of several renewable energy media sites including Solar Thermal Magazine.