DiY Wind Energy – ( Solar Thermal Magazine )
Alternative energy is, undeniably, the future when it comes to the energy sustainability of a home, a neighborhood or even an entire town. Solar, wind and geothermal are only a few of the forms of renewable energy we can use to replace current techniques, like burning fossil fuel, that are very harmful to the environment but also to our health.
The first step of every Do-It-Yourself construction is creating a list of the essential components and then gathering them.
Here are the parts you will need:
1) A generator. The generator is, perhaps, the most important part of the wind turbine system, since it is responsible for converting the mechanical energy produced by the wind blades to electrical energy.
2) Blades. The blades of the turbine move when affected by the wind, offering the required mechanical energy to the aforementioned generator.
3) Mounting. This is another crucial part of your construction, since the turbine must be steady, especially in high wind conditions. It is also important that it is turned into the wind all the time so a “tail“ is required.
4) Base. What the base does is attach the mounting to the ground. Just like the mounting, a strong base is also required to ensure the stability of the structure.
5) Proper batteries and electronic controller. Once the mechanical part of your project is complete, you will need the help of electronics. Some batteries that will store the wind energy produced by the blades and, also, a reliable controller. The controller is crucial to make sure there is no energy loss from incidents like the generator functioning for no reason. People who have a high level of expertise in this field recommend the addition of an extra battery, just in case the primary ones get fully charged.
A detailed guide for this type of constructions is really difficult to create since some people require a different type of information and steps than others to fully understand the correct method. So what we are going to do is offer a very basic guideline and you can choose which part of the process you need to learn more about.
First of all, you create the blades. It is really easy. All you need is some PVC or ABS pipes cut in such a way that the created blades will have a slight curve so that they are more sensitive to the wind.
The next step is bolting the blades onto a disc. An aluminum disk is used in most case. Using that disc, you have to create a hub, a component that will allow the disk to be attached straight to the generator, since there is no gear box present.
You are probably dazzled by now, but we can assure you that the hard part is over. All you have to do now is attach the generator to the mounting and then attach the mounting to the base.
After this is achieved, the final obstacle is connecting the turbine to the electronic controller mentioned earlier and then connecting the controller to the battery.
This was the elementary version of the things you require to do in order to create your own wind turbine. You can start from there, gather the type of instructions and data you decide, and create a perfect working alternative energy production system.
Gordon's expertise in the area of industrial energy efficiency and alternative energy. He is an experienced electrical engineer with a Masters degree in Alternative Energy technology. He is the co-founder of several renewable energy media sites including Solar Thermal Magazine.