This Earth Day, as Georgians consider ways to “go green,” Georgia Power is encouraging customers to consider simple improvements around the house which can result in lower energy usage and increased savings year round.
The company works year round to put the power of energy efficiency in the hands of customers through customized programs such as the online My Power Usage program and in-home, in-person energy audits.
Georgia Power’s Top 5 Home Energy Efficiency Tips this Earth Day are:
- Seal Ductwork – Gaps in joints/connections in HVAC ductwork can cause heating and cooling bills to increase by as much as 20 to 30 percent.
- Insulate Attics – Properly insulating your attic can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs.
- Install Programmable Thermostats – Using advanced thermostats to set and automatically adjust your home’s temperature settings when you’re away or sleeping can help you save up to $100 a year.
- Recycle Old Refrigerators & Freezers – Recycling old, secondary refrigerators and freezers can save up to $150 a year in energy costs and you could earn a $50 rebate from Georgia Power.
- Look for the Logo – When replacing appliances, look for the Energy Star® logo as certified appliances use up to 40 percent less energy and water than standard models.