The Concept One All Electric Car from Rimac ( Solar Thermal Magazine) – Rimac Automobili, as an automobile manufacturing company was established in 2009 in Zagreb, Croatia in it’s founder best friend’s garage. The company’s primary objective was to build an electric supercar, starting, as Rimac put it, “with a blank sheet of paper”.
The story goes that when Rimac’s 1984 BMW E30 blew its internal combustion engine during one a race, he made it the company’s first test mule, fitting it with a 600 hp electric powertrain. This first electric car, called the “Green Monster”, set five Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA)-sanctioned acceleration records in April 2011.
What is it about electric cars?
It is true that even primitive (DC) electric motors can outperform any combustion engine in efficiency, response time, power band width, size, regenerative braking and torque.
The concept one powertrain is divided into four sub-systems, each consisting of one motor, inverter and reduction gearbox. Each of those systems drives one wheel, completely independent one from the other. Each wheel can independently accelerate or decelerate hundreds of times per second, helping to achieve the driver selectable handling.
The Concept One is a completely different car from the Green Monster prototype that launched Rimac Automotive. See if you think this car can give the Elone Musk Tesla line up a run for it’s money. Check this out.
Concept One Specifications:
- Power output: 1088 hp
- Torque: 1600 Nm from 0 to 6500 rpm
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 2,8 seconds
- Range: up to 600 km (realistic range – 500 km)
- Braking distance: 31.5m (100-0 km/h)
- Lateral g-force: 1.4 g
- Efficiency: 140-550 Wh/km
- 22 kW on-board charging
- DC-Combo fast charging (up to 120 kW)
- Weight-to-power ratio: 1.79 kg/hp
- Weight distribution: 42% front, 58% rear
- Voltage: 650V nominal
- Capacity: 91 kWh
- Liquid cooling
- Milled aluminum and sheet aluminum housing
- Rimac Automobili Battery and Thermal Management Systems
- Several layers of redundant safety and protection systems
- Cro-Mo space-frame with aluminum and carbon-fibre semi-stressed members
- Front and rear suspension: Double wishbones, fully adjustable, pushrod operated
- Electronically adjustable ride height
- Rear: Rimac Automobili D-PM-OC-600 – high speed dual permanent magnet oil cooled motors, 600 kW peak, 10.000 RPM, up to 97% efficiency
- Front: Rimac Automobili D-PM-OC-400 – high speed dual permanent magnet oil cooled motors, 400 kW peak, 10.000 RPM, up to 97% efficiency
- Rotor and stator oil cooling
- Milled aluminum housings
- Rack and pinion electrically power assisted steering.
- Front brakes: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø 390 mm, 36 mm wide.
- 6-piston calipers, power-assisted.
- Rear brakes: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø 380 mm, 34 mm wide.
- 4-piston calipers, power-assisted.
- Up to 400 kW of regen-braking (adjustable)
- Torque Vectoring with stability function
- Safety disconnect systems in case of crash
- Multiple ECU architecture for monitoring of safety-relevant electronic systems
- Full carbon-fibre body
Gordon's expertise in the area of industrial energy efficiency and alternative energy. He is an experienced electrical engineer with a Masters degree in Alternative Energy technology. He is the co-founder of several renewable energy media sites including Solar Thermal Magazine.