EDF EN Canada Inc., a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles Group, today celebrated the completion of the La Mitis Wind Project with a dedication ceremony that took place at the Parc Mont-Comi in the municipality of Saint-Donat. Located in the unorganized territory Lac-à-la-Croix in the MRC of La Mitis, administrative region of the Bas-St-Laurent, the project exemplifies the importance of collaboration and support of local communities in the successful development and implementation of wind energy projects. MRC of La Mitis and EDF EN Canada officials were joined by nearly 100 guests to mark the commissioning and commercial operation.
Energie renouvelable de la Mitis owns 30% of the project while EDF EN Canada holds the remaining 70%. Consisting of 12 turbines supplied by Senvion, the project created more than 150 jobs during the peak construction phase. An annual contribution of $61,500 will be paid by the project during the 20-year operational phase to the MRC of La Mitis. In addition, the commissioning triggers a unique contribution of $200,000 into a Community Development Fund. Electricity generated is delivered to Hydro-Quebec Distribution under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement.
Marcel Moreau, General Director of MRC of La Mitis, commented, “An early Christmas present was delivered to us nearly four years ago on December 20, 2010 when Hydro-Québec Distribution announced that La Mitis project had been selected as part of the call for tenders for community wind farms. Today we are excited to celebrate the completion of this magnificent and promising project.”
“The development of green and sustainable energy is a critical issue for our MRC and its 16 municipalities and the ability to share in the revenues from the sale of electricity while providing diversification of funding sources presents a great opportunity for the local communities to benefit from the direct impact,” added Noël Lambert, Prefect of MRC of La Mitis.
“Through the entire development and construction process, EDF EN Canada has worked hand-in-hand with the MRC. Our partnership is based on a deep level of mutual trust and respect that has only been strengthened through the process of building the Project,” said Al Kurzenhauser, Chief Operating Officer of EDF EN Canada. “We look forward to many years of continued collaboration and success.”
La Mitis is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF EN Canada in 2008 and 2010 through Hydro-Quebec Distribution call for tenders. It also represents the third project developed by EDF EN Canada to be held in partnership with an MRC, the other two wind projects being Le Granit (24.6 MW) and Lac Alfred (300 MW). By the end of 2015, EDF EN Canada will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.
ABOUT EDF EN CANADA INC.:
EDF EN Canada, a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles, is a market leader in renewable energy, with more than 1,300 MW of wind and solar power facilities in service or under construction. Headquartered in Toronto, with offices in Montreal, EDF EN Canada employs an integrated approach to project development covering all aspects from conception to commissioning through to generation and long term operations. The subsidiary offers financial strength, technological innovation and an emphasis on service. EDF EN Canada draws on the market expertise of EDF Renewable Energy, EDF Energies Nouvelles’ U.S. subsidiary. EDF Energies Nouvelles is 100% owned by the EDF Group. www.edf-energies-nouvelles.com www.edf-en.ca