With the showmanship one only expects at an international auto show, BYD opened the ceremony with an impressive display of lights, music, curtain-drops and a crowd of hundreds to witness America’s first electric articulated bus, fittingly named “The Lancaster” after the city in California where it was designed and manufactured. Lancaster Vice Mayor Marvin Crist proclaimed, “BYD Motors is an American manufacturing company residing in an industrial zone in the city of Lancaster – they have now hired over 60 Americans to build clean-tech Electric Buses and Energy Modules out of Lancaster, California.”
The Lancaster eBus, a break-through, 60-foot, articulated battery electric vehicle, can drive 170+ miles with a passenger load of up to 120 passengers, was in development for almost two years, and is an example of how committed BYD is to the American Rapid Transit markets. “BYD’s mission is to create safer and more environmentally-friendly battery technologies. This has resulted in the BYD Iron-Phosphate Battery, a fire-safe, completely recyclable, and incredibly long-cycle technology — the foundation of BYD’s Electric buses. These buses run entirely off battery power lasting up to 24 hours on a single charge, with single off-peak charging time of 2-4 hours,” said BYD Motors Fleet Sales Vice President, Brendan Riley. “No additional generation capacity is needed to be built to charge our buses at night since the grid is only 40% utilized.”
Also on display at the BYD Exhibit was a 40-foot, Battery-electric Transit bus from Antelope Valley Transit Authority. AVTA Board Chairman Norm Hickling boasted that the 40-foot bus on the Expo show floor was the only bus, “that drove over 1500 zero-emission miles from Los Angeles all the way to Houston for the Expo under its own power.” AVTA tested BYD buses in the hottest part of the Lancaster summer in August with full air-conditioning running and with 5250 pounds of sand bags to simulate a full passenger load. He further stated, “We drove nearly 100 miles more than BYD advertises — up to 250 miles per bus charge and we covered almost 750 miles in 24 hours! We are very impressed with BYD technology and quality.” The most interesting news about this 1500 mile journey to Texas is that it was completed for “$200 in electricity–the lowest cost trip to the show of all buses.”
“BYD is leading the Renaissance in Transit – a rebirth of electrified transportation…but this time without miles of electrified rails, ugly over-head wires or charging stations,” said BYD Vice President Micheal Austin. “If you look around the show floor, there are electric buses now at every relevant transit vendor! This is a complete reversal from the Expo three years ago when we were the only 40-foot, long-range, battery-electric bus on the show floor — we are proud to say that we were one of the first and we are raising the bar again today!” The APTA Expo continues through Wednesday, October 15th at the George R. Brown convention center in Houston, TX. Stop by Expo booth 5437 to see the BYD buses yourself.
BYD Motors Inc is an American manufacturing company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of BYD Company Ltd, the largest domestic auto-manufacturer and electric-bus manufacturer in the world. BYD is a publicly traded company, with the Hong Kong listed stock 60% of which is owned by U.S. investors, and Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway as the largest single shareholder at 9.9%.
BYD Motors established its headquarters in downtown Los Angeles in October 2011 and has now hired over 60 Americans to support BYD Electric Bus and Energy Module factories in Lancaster, California which will be delivering their first electric buses next month. There are also over 25 American research and development and sales support personnel at the Los Angeles headquarters. As the world’s largest manufacturer of rechargeable batteries, BYD’s mission is to create safer and more environmentally-friendly battery technologies. This has resulted in the BYD Iron Phosphate Battery, a fire-safe, completely recyclable, and incredibly long-cycle technology — the foundation of BYD’s clean energy platforms. The technology BYD has brought to the U.S. has been touted as break-through with the following distinctions:
- BYD Electric buses run up to 24 hours on a single charge, with single off-peak charging time of 2-4 hours.
- Buses run entirely off of batteries, with NO transmissions, clutches, or an internal-combustion engine.
- 40-foot buses can hold up to 60 passengers, 60-foot articulated buses carry up to 120 passengers, and are designed with low floors without any steps, made possible with in-wheel hub motors, making it elderly and disability friendly.
- Battery chemistry is environmentally friendly, making it disposable and pollution-free with zero-emissions.
- Due to its track record for superior technology, BYD has won the most contracts for battery-electric buses in the World and the United States.
- BYD has globally produced more battery-electric buses than any other manufacturer with over 1,300 buses worldwide.
- BYD’s battery electric bus has been tested for more North American miles at more Transit Authorities than any other electric bus.
- A single BYD Electric Buses has the ability to save 2.77 trees per day, literally a forest each month on U.S. roads in Carbon Dioxide offsets.