Sizing and Designing Your Home Solar Power System To Save Money

Sizing and Designing Your Home Solar Power System To Save Money

Sizing and Designing Your Home Solar Power System To Save Money ( Solar Thermal Magazine)

Have you ever wondered how big of a solar power system you would need to install on your roof to power all or some of your daily household energy needs? In order to answer this question you will need to do a little bit of analysis. You will need to know what the energy capacity is of the the major energy consuming products in your home and typically how long everyday they are in operation ( duty cycle).

These energy consumers include things like:

1- HVAC – your heating and ventilation systems

2- Hotwater and pool pump

3- Lighting

4 – Washer and Dryer

5- Stove,Oven and Refrigerator.

6- Microwave

etc.

This video shows you how to capture the energy requirements for your current lifestyle and calculate the size of a solar power system that you would need to install.

Enjoy the video

About Gordon Smith
Gordon's expertise in the area of industrial energy efficiency and alternative energy. He is an experienced electrical engineer with a Masters degree in Alternative Energy technology. He is the co-founder of several renewable energy media sites including Solar Thermal Magazine.

20 Comments

• hany mahmoud says:

Would tell how to calculate the required pv panel
    for solar system

• s.m.muslim says:

Sir, how to calculate the required solar panels

• Jenna Hughes says:

Just wondered–what is a “gegser,” the item in your sample list which draws 3000 watts? I’m not familiar with any appliance by that name. If I’m misreading it and it’s actually “geyser” then I would find that even more puzzling…

Thank you!

Jenna

• Jazzy Blue says:

Jenna, the geyser is a hot water heater.

Question for Gordon:
    Can you use the cool air from the heat pump to cool a room in your house?

Thanks,

Jazzy

• muhammad usman tahir says:

capacity of solar pennals ????
    answer

• Jean says:

I am interested to install solar panel in my house. How can you give the quotation?

• Muhammad Rafiq MALIK says:

I would like some solar company to have interaction with me for installation of solar system. My cell no 0333- 5257054 Thanks.

• Muhammad Raza says:

we installed all kind of solar home ,pumps & street lights system, my contact # 03009011788

• Vipan kumar says:

I want to just work in a company dealing with solar panel. Have any company interact with me regarding this?

• Wilfredo G. Almirol says:

Can you please teach me how to calculate how many solar panel do I need for my resident is there a formula on how to compute it?

• hasan says:

the power of new energy is not only solar it is the integration of many
    Different Power supplies to produce the future sustainability in
    Clean environment

• Muhammad Raza says:

we need solar system complete

• HILDA RAMIREZ ROJAS says:

realmente me sorprendente que bueno seria si esto funcionara en peru almenos en lima, cuantos no pagaríamos altos costos

• Energy Cafe says:

Would tell how to calculate the required pv panel
    for solar system

• dlux says:

calculate the number of solar panels your need by taking the yearly average of your monthly energy consumption. for india, more energy is used in hot season – especially is you are using a/c or lots of fans. for us in canada it is in winter when temp is minus 20C.

• salvador s gicaro jr says:

How much solar power we need for 30 amps x 220vac household residence?

• more tech.details about capacity.connection.storage capacity etc. needed

• Robert says:

I hope I am alllowed to share this on my blogger because I have to share it. Good read.

• Tom Mallard says:

Seeing basic questions on wattage, it’s by latitude, you need a solar chart to figure out winter solstice for cold climates and summer solstice for hot ones to design to for heat or cold.

At the equator it’s 1kw/m² of collector, 1-watt = 1-Joule of heat, I use 80% efficient so 800-watts/m² flat to the sun; however, I try to use static panels no tracking if possible, far less hassle for the cost of more collector.

For hot-water in the USA it’s very restrictive on exposed roof units, to me it’s doubtful on getting an exposed tank approved in most HOA’s, homeowners associations, they didn’t allow solar panels for decades for the looks.

My comment is what’s still lacking is the thermal-battery to store the heat or cold from the collector BEFORE it’s distributed to rooms, taking the maximum temperature differential usually lost in the first meters from the source and stores that excess instead for later release.

That’s what’s missing in buildings thermally, called a plenum in the 80’s a pile of rocks, not good, my evolved thermal battery based on using the crawl-space or adding a deck sized to the heat-cold needs of the building.

Consider using 3-inch used irrigation pipe for the air ducting with dirt the main thermal-mass, for existing homes a water-storage bag to keep the volume of the stack reasonable as water is 4-times more specific-heat capacity, 4,180J/kg-C° vs 800J/kg-C°.

The pipes fit 3-1/4 standard duct & fittings, it all starts with digging down 18 and placing 2 soil-contact foam to stop conduction downward, a radiant-vapor layer [heat-loss + radon emissions], pipes placed with ducting, packed with dirt, dirt on top.

So far this is feasible for many buildings and does recycle the pipe, and this plugs into an existing ductwork system.

Thermal design then is to compute heat-loss to store the daily cycle at solstice with collectors.

Building codes will require a backup, can recommend on-demand water heaters for this and inline air, all-electric the bill is under $100/year for backup on most modern grid-tied.

In summer you collect the coolest air at night to store and use backup refrigeration inline, these usually custom systems right now.

Now, consider in a storm the power goes out, or your city can’t supply power in summer but a few hours a day, all you need in electricity is for moving air or a thermal fluid, not creating the heat or cold, this is trivial battery capacity needed to cover compared to burning a fuel or using electricity.

So a thermal system is more reliable for the cost of having a thermal-battery to use, and far less expensive to operate.

• Good work Sir.Thank you.
    please Sir now do prectical Implementation of solar plates.i shall be very thankful to you.

Comments are closed.