A video to highlight the benefits of renewable energy to Scotland, will arm the public with the facts about the industry, the head of trade body Scottish Renewables has said.
The animation – which will be premiered at an international Commonwealth Games renewables event in Glasgow – takes just two-and-a-half minutes to run online viewers through 30 key green energy points.
Some of the surprising stats used include:
- Scotland produces the equivalent of almost half our electricity demand from renewables – more than doubling our output since 2007.
- The carbon dioxide displaced by renewables in 2012 was equivalent to removing every car, lorry, bus and train journey from the nation’s roads and rails for a year.
- Renewables support almost 12,000 full-time jobs across Scotland.
- More than £1bn was invested in Scotland by renewables companies in 2013 alone.
- Scottish Renewables’ Chief Executive Niall Stuart said: “The renewables industry is widely supported by the general public and is providing undoubted economic and environmental benefits to Scotland.
“The video is designed to inform the incredibly important debate about how Scotland meets its future energy needs and set out the benefits of the huge growth in renewable energy output in recent years.”