We thought our readers would enjoy this video of the opening session of the workshop the White House hosted this week on the purchase and deployment of renewable energy in the U.S. government. The keynote speaker was Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, who gave a great overview of the Navy’s renewable energy program and the reasons renewable energy is of vital importance to the U.S. and it’s military.
Here are some interesting facts that were mentioned in the video:
- The U.S. government has made a commitment that by the year 2020, 20% of the government’s energy needs will be met from renewable resources.
- 90 % of the world’s trade travel by sea.
- 90% of the world’s data travels on cables under the sea.
- The U.S. Department of Defense is the single biggest user of fossil fuels on the planet.
- The U.S. military sees energy supply as a vulnerability.
- Energy is being used as a weapon in the world. The situation in the Ukraine is an example of this.
- At least 50% of the U.S. Navy’s energy supply will come from non-fossil fuel sources by 2020.
Tracey is an accountant and entrepreneur with a passion for nature. This passion is what spurred her interest in renewable energy, and the rest is history as they say. Tracey is a principal in Energy Think Group, the publisher of Solar Thermal Magazine and Tek-Think. She is also the principal at Women's Financial Help Desk. She spends her free time in the outdoors with her horses and dogs. She loves to travel.