Finalists have been named for the Global LEAP Outstanding Off-Grid Appliance Awards competition, a Clean Energy Ministerial initiative to identify and promote the world’s best, most energy-efficient off-grid color televisions and LED room lighting appliances.
All Global LEAP Awards Finalists have been evaluated in a two-step process:
(1) they have been tested for their energy performance, durability, and reliability according to internationally accepted laboratory test methodologies; and
(2) they have been assessed by a panel of off-grid market experts for their ability to contribute to successful off-grid clean energy markets throughout the developing world. The Global LEAP Awards Finalists listed below are among the world’s best off-grid-compatible low-voltage appliances.
“Because they drive demand for off-grid clean energy systems, low-voltage appliances play a critical role in global clean energy access efforts,” said Caroline McGregor, the Global LEAP initiative lead.
We’re very proud to announce the Finalists for the Global LEAP Awards. Every one of these products is going to make an impact on the continued growth and development of clean energy access markets.
Winners of the Global LEAP Awards will be announced at the Fifth Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM5) in Seoul, Korea on 12 May 2014.
Television Competition Finalists, Global LEAP Awards
Small Category (viewable screen size ≥ 390 cm2 but < 700 cm2)
- Sola SO16M 15.6″ LED TV by Sola Home Appliances, Inc.
- SOLAGEO TWB-TVE1603A 15.6″ LED TV by Trade Without Borders
Medium Category (viewable screen size ≥ 700 cm2 but < 1,400 cm2)
- Sola SO19M 19″ LED TV by Sola Home Appliances, Inc.
Large Category (viewable screen size ≥ 1,400 cm2)
- Samsung UA23H4060AR 23″ LED TV by Samsung
Emerging Technologies—Small Category
- fosera CTV 1040156 15.6″ Solar TV by fosera
- MAKS L15RN01 15″ Solar LED TV by MAKS
Emerging Technologies—Large Category
- Samsung UA32**** 32″ Prototype LED TV by Samsung
LED Room Lighting Appliance Finalists, Global LEAP Awards
- LED Ball Light by Solarland
- LED-DC12V-5W by Super Star Group, Bangladesh
LED Ambient Indoor Room Lighting Fixtures (luminous output ≥ 100 but < 300 lumens)
- LED DC Tube Light by Solarland
LED Higher-Output Ambient Indoor Room Lighting Fixtures (luminous output ≥ 300 lumens)
- Home 300 by Niwa Solar
- T5 Tube LED-DC-12V-5W by Super Star Group, Bangladesh
- T8 Tube LED-DC-12V-3W by Super Star Group, Bangladesh
Media Registration: To register to attend the Global LEAP Awards ceremony, send an e-mail to [email protected]with your name, role and your accredited media organisation by close of business on Friday, 2 May. To receive the Winners announcement electronically, please register at http://bit.ly/1iTM6po. Winners’ information will be made available to media at the following times:
- Seoul, Korea: 22:00 Monday, 12 May 2014
- Washington DC, USA: 09:00 Monday, 12 May 2014
Background: Globally, a total of 1.2 billion people live without adequate access to electricity, and another billion have less than four hours of reliable electricity each day. The vast majority of these off-grid communities are in developing Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, and they are frequently among the world’s poorest.
Appliances and the services they provide are in high demand in off-grid communities throughout the developing world. This demand frequently inspires off-grid consumers to purchase small renewable energy systems, such as solar home systems, to run the appliances. These clean energy systems often replace these households’ needs for pre-modern, polluting energy sources such as kerosene and charcoal, and provide significant health, environmental, and economic benefits.
Energy-efficient, high-quality appliances optimize these benefits by extending run times, reducing energy costs, and making the most of the limited electricity available to off-grid consumers.
The purpose of the Global LEAP Awards is to provide off-grid clean energy companies and entrepreneurs with clear signals about appliance quality and performance, and to enable these companies to make better-informed sourcing and procurement decisions.
The Global LEAP Awards is an initiative of the Clean Energy Ministerial’s Global Lighting and Energy Access Partnership and is co-sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and the ClimateWorks Foundation. www.globalleapawards.org
SOURCE Global LEAP
ST Staff Writers
This post was prepared by Solar Thermal Magazine staff.