The Partnership to Advance Clean Energy – Deployment Technical Assistance (PACE-D TA) Program is a five- year bilateral program with the objective to accelerate India’s transition to a high performing, low emission, and energy secure economy. The program was launched by USAID in July 2012 in partnership with the Ministry of Power (MOP) and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India to support clean energy deployment and scale up in India. The PACE-D TA Program has three key components: Improving end-use energy efficiency; increasing supply of renewable energy; and accelerating deployment of clean and efficient fossil technologies. Nexant is the USAID/India Technical Assistance Contractor for the PACE-D TA Program.
The aim of the Renewable Energy Component of the Program is to put in place effective institutional and capacity building mechanisms to scale up renewable energy deployment in the field. One of the critical interventions identified to achieve this is the Micro Finance Support Program (MSP).
The key objective of the MSP is to enhance access to clean energy sources for rural and urban communities through the use of financial inclusion mechanisms like micro finance. The MSP aims to achieve this objective by facilitating partnerships between MF institutions (MFIs) and RE equipment/technology suppliers; capacity building of the MFIs and technology suppliers to develop and expand clean energy products markets through better service delivery and after sale service, capacity building of entrepreneurs, business planning and strategy development.
The PACE–D TA Program has carried out an in-depth study to develop a focused strategy for moving the clean energy agenda through Micro Finance. It was concluded that the focus of activities should be on areas that have very low electrification rates, and have operational and vibrant MFIs. Based on these criteria, it was decided that the focus of MSP would be in two states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and other areas, as appropriate. The MSP now is moving into the next phase where the program shall work with MFIs and RE suppliers to develop the market enablers and structures for increased deployment of renewable energy technologies.
Invitation to Submit Expressions of Interest (EOIs)
Nexant now invites EOIs from technically qualified and experienced Indian and/or U.S. firms to partner with Nexant for the implementation of the key activities under MSP. The EOI should highlight the experience of the firm and the team in designing and implementing similar initiatives in the micro-finance clean energy domain in a variety of markets similar to those in India.
- The focus of the EOI should be on highlighting the qualifications of the firms and the team through relevant project qualifications and key personnel profiles. The EOIs will be evaluated based on the following criteria:International experience in Micro-finance Development Programs.
- Understanding of the Indian Micro-finance sector and its key players.
- Understanding of clean energy and off grid energy interventions.
- Linkages with key MFIs operating in India preferably in the area of energy or other basic infrastructure service delivery.
- Local presence in the Indian market with established office.
- Mixture of a team incorporating international experience with local know how
Some additional guidance on the EOI is as follows:
- Interested firms are requested to submit their EOI with their technical qualifications and the expertise of the firm and its key personnel, including details of similar activities undertaken in India and other similar markets during the last three years. The EOI should only highlight qualifications and profiles of experts. Kindly do not submit proposals describing the work to be undertaken.
- The EOIs must not exceed 30 pages. Nexant reserves the right not to review any EOI longer than 30 pages in length.
- Based on the EOIs received, Nexant shall shortlist 4-5 qualified firms who shall then be requested to reply to a detailed RFP by the end of March 2014.
EOIs should be submitted by 6.00 PM Delhi time on March 13, 2014 to:
Mr. Ronnie Khanna, Deputy Chief of Party, Renewable Energy, Nexant, Inc; 3rd Floor, Vasant Complex, Sector B, Pocket 5, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, e-mail id: [email protected], (M) +91 9811951144.